Tuesday, December 23, 2008

2008: Lisa K. Broad

Tokyo Sonata (Kiyoshi Kurosawa)
The Headless Woman (Lucrecia Martel)
A Christmas Tale (Arnaud Desplechin)
Be Kind Rewind (Michel Gondry)
Fine, Totally Fine (Yosuke Fujita)
The Duchess of Langeais (Jacques Rivette, 2007)
Sarabande (Nathaniel Dorsky)
Sparrow (Johnnie To)
Redbelt (David Mamet)
You, the Living (Roy Andersson, 2007)

Retrospective Favorites of 2008
:
The Daughter of the Samurai (Arnold Fanck and Mansaku Itami, 1937), Doomed Love (Manoel de Oliveira, 1978), L'Immortelle (Alain Robbe-Grillet, 1963), Three Resurrected Drunkards (Nagisa Oshima, 1968), Tokyo Twilight (Yasujiro Ozu, 1957).

1 comment:

P.L. Kerpius said...

I totally missed Redbelt in theaters and I could kick myself! This, my friend, shall move to the top of the Netflix queue! (As an aside, I think Hauske saw it and liked it--perhaps not enough for it to make his top ten?--but then again, when this U of C PhD stud makes it out for only ten new movies per year it very well could make his top ten after all. By default anyway. And by the by, while I am here I should say also, Lisa, that how come you (a PhD stud yourself, as well as your hubby) has time for so many new films but the old BF over at Hamblogger can't muster more than ten or 11? Can you explain it? Perhaps this topic is better suited for a more private medium? But the public comment board puts on so much more pressure!

Anyway, I like your list even if I haven't seen many of the films on there. I love how you and Mike included Be Kind Rewind though, it's just lovely and deserves much more attention. It truly is the socially-conscious American anthem in cinema this year (at least teamed up with Gran Torino, Paranoid Park, and in my opinion, Chop Shop too.

Happy New Year!